Mets Owner Steven Cohen Deletes Twitter Account After Threats

[ad_1]

For almost three months since he bought the Mets, Steve Cohen engaged in surprisingly lively banter with the team’s fans on Twitter, entertaining their outlandish trade suggestions and showcasing a sense of humor and genuine interest in their thoughts that was rare for a billionaire team owner.

That all came to a crashing halt Friday night, when Cohen deactivated his Twitter account and released a statement through the Mets in which he said his family had received unspecified threats on the social media service. The move came a day after Cohen’s hedge fund — and Cohen himself, though his Twitter account — had been swept into the venomous rich-vs.-poor battle over the struggling video-game retailer GameStop.

“I’ve really enjoyed the back and forth with Mets fans on Twitter which was unfortunately overtaken this week by misinformation unrelated to the Mets that led to our family getting personal threats,” Cohen said in a statement. “So I’m going to take a break for now.”

The misinformation and personal threats appeared to be related not to Cohen’s ownership of the Mets or his online banter about the team, but to his connections to the frothy trading in GameStop stock.

“Why would one have anything to do with the other,” he replied to one Mets fan, a departure from the everyman persona that had been his account’s hallmark. For months, Cohen had engaged with Mets fans, fielding trade proposals, answering questions and making jokes.

[ad_2]

Sahred From Source link Sports