C-SPAN says its political editor didn’t initiate a questionable Twitter exchange with Anthony Scaramucci and that hacking apparently was involved
The tweet, which appeared Thursday on Scully’s Twitter account, read: ”@Scaramucci should I respond to trump,” according to a screenshot of the since-deleted tweet.
Scaramucci, who became a Trump detractor after serving briefly as his communications director, reportedly replied in part to Scully’s twitter account, “Ignore. He is having a hard enough time. “
“Steve Scully did not originate the tweet and believes his account has been hacked,” C-SPAN said in a statement Friday. “The Commission on Presidential Debates has stated publicly that the tweet was not sent by Scully himself and is investigating with the help of authorities. When additional information is available, we will release it.”
Frank Fahrenkopf, chairman of the Commission on Presidential Debates, said during a Fox News Radio interview Friday with host Brian Kilmeade that Scully “was hacked.”
A spokesman for C-SPAN said Scully was not commenting Friday.
He was set to serve as moderator of the second Trump-Biden meeting, a town hall format on Oct. 15. The commission announced Friday afternoon that the second debate had been canceled, and it was focusing on an Oct. 22 debate scheduled to be held in Nashville, Tennessee. NBC News’ Kristen Welker is slated to serve as moderator.